Skip to main content

Mod 9

The first video, "Albrecht Durer: Image of A Master", I chose on a whim because I wasn't familiar with his name or his work. Velasquez sounded vaguely familiar so I wanted to learn more about him.

For the first video, I wasn't familiar with the name or his work so I wanted to learn about someone new. However, I found out that I actually was familiar with Durer's work when the video explored it more. Notably, his rendering of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I saw it recently in a film "Horsemen" on Netflix. The film revolves around a cop that has to investigate a murder that is based on the portrait (Great movie by the way!). Besides that, Durer's process of stripping down works into shapes reminded me of the golden mean in graphic design. Every "good" design is based off of a conch shell, and the self-portrait of Durer holding the plant could be stripped down to only a few circles and triangles.

I found it interesting that Velasquez used patterns in his works. I can relate this to my design background because I'm very fond of patterns and order when it comes to my designs as well. The themes of his works were unique. The way he portrayed human deformities and grotesque appearances while still capturing the human side of the figures was different from any artist I've seen before.

Both videos relate to the readings because the artists were around during the Renaissance. Velasquez was among the leaders of the Baroque era, and Durer's renderings helped lay the groundwork for woodworking and printmaking for years to come.

Out of the films we've watched so far, these were my least favorite. They weren't really engaging and with the exception of Durer's design inclusion I couldn't really relate to them. I did, however, find an interest in the fact that he included patterns in his works and used basic shapes to create images. They add understanding to the art concepts because both artists are briefly covered in the book, so each video expands on their lives as well their work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/barbams01/slideshow/ The process to create the slideshow was relatively painless and fun. To choose what to photograph, I walked around campus as well as my house. Deciding what to pick for each was kind of challenging because I had to think outside of the box. First I went with objects in my house that were coincidentally arranged, such as the knives and the two tea containers. Eventually, though, I had to start arranging objects. I stumbled across the two Jack Skellington figures and put them side by side because of their size difference. They are not exactly the same, but similar enough. Other objects, such as the ball in the middle of the ground, were easy to figure out how to incorporate into the slideshow. For the ball, I just set it on my garage floor and zoomed out to give it the appearance of a small object in a big space. I found the green coins to demonstrate shape. At first, I used the cylindrical light to represent shape, but decided a...

Masks

Final  Sketches 1 Sketches 2 Inspiration 1: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cd/71/40/cd71400be5adae9d73dc17957d477603--mens-masquerade-mask-halloween-masquerade.jpg Inspiration 2: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/c2/d1/59c2d1cf1c2288f1a80f3a6a843baf74--venetian-masquerade-masks-masquerade-ball.jpg Inspiration 3: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/67/a5/8267a5cc865dcc351eeec9bbd938d899.jpg 1) I chose this mask because of its split design. I wanted to create a two-tone mask with two distinct sides. 2) I chose this mask because of its ornate detail. Art and music are my two favorite cultures so I wanted to unify them in my design, mainly by directly including music notes in the final product. 3) I chose this mask as a possible inspiration because of  its shape. I wanted to include theater in the final product so I was debating whether or not to make a half mask. In the end, I still included it in the final product because of the eye shape. For the mask,...