Skip to main content

Mod 12

I chose "Andy Warhol: Images of an Image" and "Abstract Expressionism and Pop: Art of the 50's and 60's". I'm a fan of Warhol's work, so I was curious to see his process as well as learn a little about his life. I chose the second video because from what I've learned in regards to art and design, that time period was important in the history of both.

Pop art is my favorite graphic design movement alongside Art Deco, so naturally I'm a fan of Warhol's style. The video explored his method of creating iconic works such as the Campbell's soup can, and portraits of Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor. Perhaps what I found to be most interesting was the amount of work that went into making each portrait. Warhol took elements of photography and screenprinting and combined them with the addition of paints. Although the video didn't go into much detail about how long the process took, I assume it took a few hours. As I was watching the video, I was thinking about how simple the process can be using computers today. To achieve a similar look, all one needs is Photoshop. It's somewhat "sad" to think about, but at the same time Warhol helped pioneer the iconic halftone and pop art style that everyone knows. Although the length of time to create a work using computers has been significantly shortened, the idea is still the same albeit the fact that it's on a different medium.

The second video was far less engaging than the first one. I appreciate the works that it covered but it seemed to drag. I like expressionism so I can appreciate the works it covered, though. I particularly enjoyed the Map, because it was a unique take on a normal concept. To see how several seemingly random lines can make up a larger image is very interesting. The video also covered Andy Warhol. Like I mentioned in the previous question, I like Warhol's style. The thing is, I also don't understand it in a way. For example, I'm unsure why he chose to repeat someone's image and then place a solid color over it. This makes it more appealing and worthy of studying though. The image the video covered wasn't my favorite but after looking at it for a while I began to understand his style a little more. I may research Warhol after watching both of these videos.


The videos relate to the readings because they cover the art movements of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. This includes sections about pop art, as well as sections on artists of the time period such as Jackson Pollack and Andy Warhol. 


As I previously stated, with the exception of a few works, the second video didn't really add much to my understanding of art. In short, I didn't like it. However, the first video helped me understand the process that Warhol used to create his famous works of art. In addition, it furthered my understanding of one of my favorite art/graphic design movements - Pop art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/barbams01/slideshow/ The process to create the slideshow was relatively painless and fun. To choose what to photograph, I walked around campus as well as my house. Deciding what to pick for each was kind of challenging because I had to think outside of the box. First I went with objects in my house that were coincidentally arranged, such as the knives and the two tea containers. Eventually, though, I had to start arranging objects. I stumbled across the two Jack Skellington figures and put them side by side because of their size difference. They are not exactly the same, but similar enough. Other objects, such as the ball in the middle of the ground, were easy to figure out how to incorporate into the slideshow. For the ball, I just set it on my garage floor and zoomed out to give it the appearance of a small object in a big space. I found the green coins to demonstrate shape. At first, I used the cylindrical light to represent shape, but decided a...

Mod 9

The first video, "Albrecht Durer: Image of A Master", I chose on a whim because I wasn't familiar with his name or his work. Velasquez sounded vaguely familiar so I wanted to learn more about him. For the first video, I wasn't familiar with the name or his work so I wanted to learn about someone new. However, I found out that I actually was familiar with Durer's work when the video explored it more. Notably, his rendering of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I saw it recently in a film "Horsemen" on Netflix. The film revolves around a cop that has to investigate a murder that is based on the portrait (Great movie by the way!). Besides that, Durer's process of stripping down works into shapes reminded me of the golden mean in graphic design. Every "good" design is based off of a conch shell, and the self-portrait of Durer holding the plant could be stripped down to only a few circles and triangles. I found it interesting that Velasque...

Masks

Final  Sketches 1 Sketches 2 Inspiration 1: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cd/71/40/cd71400be5adae9d73dc17957d477603--mens-masquerade-mask-halloween-masquerade.jpg Inspiration 2: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/c2/d1/59c2d1cf1c2288f1a80f3a6a843baf74--venetian-masquerade-masks-masquerade-ball.jpg Inspiration 3: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/67/a5/8267a5cc865dcc351eeec9bbd938d899.jpg 1) I chose this mask because of its split design. I wanted to create a two-tone mask with two distinct sides. 2) I chose this mask because of its ornate detail. Art and music are my two favorite cultures so I wanted to unify them in my design, mainly by directly including music notes in the final product. 3) I chose this mask as a possible inspiration because of  its shape. I wanted to include theater in the final product so I was debating whether or not to make a half mask. In the end, I still included it in the final product because of the eye shape. For the mask,...