Skip to main content

Color

Color evokes emotion in a work of art like notes or melodies do in a song. The arrangement of notes cue certain memories or thoughts, while color presents the same concept in a visual manner. The correct mix of hues, brightness, shading, and saturation will make a work of art stand out and possibly bring tears to the eye.

Being a graphic designer, I am obsessed with color theory as well as balance in a design. In my designs, I always try to figure out new color combinations as well as experimenting with color to solve the problem. I use colorcombos.com to get ideas for the image. For example, one flyer that I made was for a 2-day event, so I chose a bright red for Day 1 and contrasted it with a dark blue for Day 2 with white for the text. I also used a monochromatic color scheme for each side to really make the sides balanced.

Balance is another fascination of mine in regards to designs. Thanks to Photoshop, there are guides that pop up when a layer is off-center or not lined up with the others. I see every design as a problem that has to be solved, and if the elements in the image aren’t perfectly lined up or presented in a manner that is organized, then the design is incomplete.

In the Color video, I related to the way the artist felt about her use of color. There have been times where I have questioned why I chose a color and went through several changes and finally settled on one that is completely different from the original. The part when she trashed her painting and said she “hated it” is exactly how I feel at times, except I’m not going to throw my computer away. I was actually quite confused by her choice of colors as well as the image itself. As a spectator, I couldn’t make sense of what I was seeing, and perhaps maybe she felt a similar way and that is why she threw water on it.


In the Feelings video, the analysis of the Mona Lisa made an impact because of its importance. It is intriguing to think that a painting of a normal woman, painted with no exaggerations of color, light, or really anything else, can be highly regarded and be the most famous painting in the world. Although it’s not 100% realistic in the sense of the figure popping off of the canvas, we can analyze it and see her as a “regular person”. The tones used for her skin and the shadows are realistic shades, the shadows are based on reflection of real light, and even the color of her wardrobe and hair are realistic. This painting is so perfect that it has become highly coveted in society, and I believe that, among other things, this can be attributed to DaVinci’s color choice. Had he chose to paint the figure with no shadows or chose an unrealistic color for the skin, the image would have turned out completely different.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/barbams01/slideshow/ The process to create the slideshow was relatively painless and fun. To choose what to photograph, I walked around campus as well as my house. Deciding what to pick for each was kind of challenging because I had to think outside of the box. First I went with objects in my house that were coincidentally arranged, such as the knives and the two tea containers. Eventually, though, I had to start arranging objects. I stumbled across the two Jack Skellington figures and put them side by side because of their size difference. They are not exactly the same, but similar enough. Other objects, such as the ball in the middle of the ground, were easy to figure out how to incorporate into the slideshow. For the ball, I just set it on my garage floor and zoomed out to give it the appearance of a small object in a big space. I found the green coins to demonstrate shape. At first, I used the cylindrical light to represent shape, but decided a...

Mod 9

The first video, "Albrecht Durer: Image of A Master", I chose on a whim because I wasn't familiar with his name or his work. Velasquez sounded vaguely familiar so I wanted to learn more about him. For the first video, I wasn't familiar with the name or his work so I wanted to learn about someone new. However, I found out that I actually was familiar with Durer's work when the video explored it more. Notably, his rendering of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I saw it recently in a film "Horsemen" on Netflix. The film revolves around a cop that has to investigate a murder that is based on the portrait (Great movie by the way!). Besides that, Durer's process of stripping down works into shapes reminded me of the golden mean in graphic design. Every "good" design is based off of a conch shell, and the self-portrait of Durer holding the plant could be stripped down to only a few circles and triangles. I found it interesting that Velasque...

Masks

Final  Sketches 1 Sketches 2 Inspiration 1: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cd/71/40/cd71400be5adae9d73dc17957d477603--mens-masquerade-mask-halloween-masquerade.jpg Inspiration 2: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/c2/d1/59c2d1cf1c2288f1a80f3a6a843baf74--venetian-masquerade-masks-masquerade-ball.jpg Inspiration 3: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/67/a5/8267a5cc865dcc351eeec9bbd938d899.jpg 1) I chose this mask because of its split design. I wanted to create a two-tone mask with two distinct sides. 2) I chose this mask because of its ornate detail. Art and music are my two favorite cultures so I wanted to unify them in my design, mainly by directly including music notes in the final product. 3) I chose this mask as a possible inspiration because of  its shape. I wanted to include theater in the final product so I was debating whether or not to make a half mask. In the end, I still included it in the final product because of the eye shape. For the mask,...