Today I visited the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo, NY.


"Les falaises de Gréville (The Cliffs of Gréville)" by Jean-Francois Millet really made an impression on me because it reminded me of a dreary day. Although the waves are clashing onto the rocks, the sky is grey and the colors used to create the water are unlike the clear blue waters we see near beaches. It looks like the author wanted to capture a moment in time that, instead of being peaceful, was quite the opposite.

"Tempest In Red" by Sandra Cinto made an impression on me because it reminded me of anger. Red represents anger, so this could be why the artist chose that color. The lines appear to form some sort of figure, and it looks like it is coming down, and the result is the apocalypse. The overall shape can also symbolize fire, yet again representing the apocalypse. I like the color contrast of white and red, because if another color was used then it wouldn't deliver the same message.


I feel a connection with Tony Smith's "Cigarette" because I hate cigarettes and tobacco. Although it's an abstract representation of a discarded cigarette butt, the message is still clear to me. Cigarettes ruin lives, so I believe that the artist was trying to make a point by making it very large and noticeable. Overall, this may be my favorite work that I viewed today. The funny thing is, because of its location, I pass it nearly every day in my car but I never realized what it represents until today.


"The Other Side #10" by W.C. Maggio reminds me of the Twilight Zone intro. I'm a huge fan of the series, so to me this image appears as the opening of a void that we are about to enter. "A dimension of sight, a dimension of sound, a dimension of mind..."
In addition, it also looks very dystopian. The deep blacks surrounded by the dark and light grey is reminiscent of the film "Eraserhead" to me. I feel a connection to this piece because of the Twilight Zone, like we are literally about to cross over to another "side".
In addition, it also looks very dystopian. The deep blacks surrounded by the dark and light grey is reminiscent of the film "Eraserhead" to me. I feel a connection to this piece because of the Twilight Zone, like we are literally about to cross over to another "side".
Also, given the name of the piece, I can't help but hear Jim Morrison's voice telling us to "Break on through".


"Maggots On A Steak" by Jason Middlebrook reminds me of a Pink Floyd album cover, thus I would like to learn the story behind it. I would like to know if "Dark Side of The Moon" had anything to do with why he painted it. If not, then I'm curious as to what the inspiration was. I also see that there are trees (maybe power lines?) buried within the shapes, so I wonder if this is supposed to represent a city of some sort.


"Carnaval D'Arlequin" by Joan Miro is a very active, energetic piece. I would like to know the story behind it because there is quite a bit going on in one scene. There are music notes, instruments, lots of different colors, and dancing figures. Considering the term "Harlequin", I can only assume that it has to do with The Renaissance. I am a fan of that time period so I am curious to find out more.
Great explanation on your point of view on these art works. We chose the same painting, "Les falaises de Gréville (The Cliffs of Gréville)" by Jean-Francois Millet but we interpreted the meaning of this work differently. It was interesting to read your point of view on that painting.
ReplyDelete