Skip to main content

Value Scale & Subtractive Color Wheel

I have created value scales in the past so this was nothing new to me. It didn't take very long to complete either. The only part that took a little longer was trying to make the shading precise and differ from the square adjacent to it. The color wheel was fairly easy too. I found difficulty in trying to measure the amounts of color to put in each, which resulted in the purple being too blue at first. It took me a few tries to get it precise.

I liked working with paint the most despite my lack of expertise with it. I enjoyed trying to create a new color from two existing ones, and perhaps this is because of my love of Photoshop. The basic concept of the program is to create something new from something that already exists, so I felt like I was designing a new project.

I believe the most important discovery was the utilization of our problem solving skills. In my experience, I had to figure out ways to make the resources I had work for the task at hand. I know nothing about paint, so I had to sort through different shades and brushes to figure out which ones to get. Then when the time came to do the projects, I had to find paper that was thick enough to withstand the solution.

Perhaps the most important information that I learned was the "truth" about primary colors. The video's explanation really made sense to me, because primary colors are subtractive. Subtractive colors don't make brown, they make black. On the contrary, additive colors make white so this would make sense because black and white are opposites on the spectrum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/barbams01/slideshow/ The process to create the slideshow was relatively painless and fun. To choose what to photograph, I walked around campus as well as my house. Deciding what to pick for each was kind of challenging because I had to think outside of the box. First I went with objects in my house that were coincidentally arranged, such as the knives and the two tea containers. Eventually, though, I had to start arranging objects. I stumbled across the two Jack Skellington figures and put them side by side because of their size difference. They are not exactly the same, but similar enough. Other objects, such as the ball in the middle of the ground, were easy to figure out how to incorporate into the slideshow. For the ball, I just set it on my garage floor and zoomed out to give it the appearance of a small object in a big space. I found the green coins to demonstrate shape. At first, I used the cylindrical light to represent shape, but decided a...

Mod 9

The first video, "Albrecht Durer: Image of A Master", I chose on a whim because I wasn't familiar with his name or his work. Velasquez sounded vaguely familiar so I wanted to learn more about him. For the first video, I wasn't familiar with the name or his work so I wanted to learn about someone new. However, I found out that I actually was familiar with Durer's work when the video explored it more. Notably, his rendering of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I saw it recently in a film "Horsemen" on Netflix. The film revolves around a cop that has to investigate a murder that is based on the portrait (Great movie by the way!). Besides that, Durer's process of stripping down works into shapes reminded me of the golden mean in graphic design. Every "good" design is based off of a conch shell, and the self-portrait of Durer holding the plant could be stripped down to only a few circles and triangles. I found it interesting that Velasque...

Masks

Final  Sketches 1 Sketches 2 Inspiration 1: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cd/71/40/cd71400be5adae9d73dc17957d477603--mens-masquerade-mask-halloween-masquerade.jpg Inspiration 2: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/c2/d1/59c2d1cf1c2288f1a80f3a6a843baf74--venetian-masquerade-masks-masquerade-ball.jpg Inspiration 3: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/67/a5/8267a5cc865dcc351eeec9bbd938d899.jpg 1) I chose this mask because of its split design. I wanted to create a two-tone mask with two distinct sides. 2) I chose this mask because of its ornate detail. Art and music are my two favorite cultures so I wanted to unify them in my design, mainly by directly including music notes in the final product. 3) I chose this mask as a possible inspiration because of  its shape. I wanted to include theater in the final product so I was debating whether or not to make a half mask. In the end, I still included it in the final product because of the eye shape. For the mask,...