Skip to main content

Hand Drawings



Using my hand(s) for a drawing subject was a weird process. I found it challenging to keep the paper still while trying to draw both hands. I'm right-handed, so using my left hand was easy to draw. The hardest part was trying to keep my left arm still and vice versa. Using my left hand was unpredictable and I frequently found myself erasing lines because I could not control it as well as my right hand.


I chose pencil to draw the hands for two reasons: It was the medium I had immediate access to and I also thought it would be better for the line work. Considering the fact I was only using one hand, I figured it would be less messy as well - Had I used charcoal to draw without being able to hold the paper still I may have ended up covered in charcoal.

Just like any other time I have to use my non-dominant hand to complete a task, I found it very hard to use. As I stated, it was very unpredictable and somewhat annoying to have to keep going back and erasing lines. In addition, my left is not as strong as my right so my lines were very light. I had to go back over them several times in order for the lines to appear dark.

The degree of variation between the two drawings provides an accurate analysis of the use of both hands in art. The lines on the right drawing are much darker than the left, which shows the difference in strength between the two hands. The lack of detail in the left compared to the right can show how much the right hand is more dedicated to completing a task, because the right has more control. When I was using my left, I found myself moving at a much faster pace than the first drawing. The end result shows a clear difference in detail between the two.

Based on this lesson as well as preference, I'm not ambidextrous so I'd never use my non-dominant hand to complete any task or future artwork. It was too hard to control and too unpredictable. Especially in the case of something with a time constraint, it would be counterproductive to have to keep going back and erasing or re-drawing the lines. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/barbams01/slideshow/ The process to create the slideshow was relatively painless and fun. To choose what to photograph, I walked around campus as well as my house. Deciding what to pick for each was kind of challenging because I had to think outside of the box. First I went with objects in my house that were coincidentally arranged, such as the knives and the two tea containers. Eventually, though, I had to start arranging objects. I stumbled across the two Jack Skellington figures and put them side by side because of their size difference. They are not exactly the same, but similar enough. Other objects, such as the ball in the middle of the ground, were easy to figure out how to incorporate into the slideshow. For the ball, I just set it on my garage floor and zoomed out to give it the appearance of a small object in a big space. I found the green coins to demonstrate shape. At first, I used the cylindrical light to represent shape, but decided a...

Mod 9

The first video, "Albrecht Durer: Image of A Master", I chose on a whim because I wasn't familiar with his name or his work. Velasquez sounded vaguely familiar so I wanted to learn more about him. For the first video, I wasn't familiar with the name or his work so I wanted to learn about someone new. However, I found out that I actually was familiar with Durer's work when the video explored it more. Notably, his rendering of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I saw it recently in a film "Horsemen" on Netflix. The film revolves around a cop that has to investigate a murder that is based on the portrait (Great movie by the way!). Besides that, Durer's process of stripping down works into shapes reminded me of the golden mean in graphic design. Every "good" design is based off of a conch shell, and the self-portrait of Durer holding the plant could be stripped down to only a few circles and triangles. I found it interesting that Velasque...

Masks

Final  Sketches 1 Sketches 2 Inspiration 1: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cd/71/40/cd71400be5adae9d73dc17957d477603--mens-masquerade-mask-halloween-masquerade.jpg Inspiration 2: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/c2/d1/59c2d1cf1c2288f1a80f3a6a843baf74--venetian-masquerade-masks-masquerade-ball.jpg Inspiration 3: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/67/a5/8267a5cc865dcc351eeec9bbd938d899.jpg 1) I chose this mask because of its split design. I wanted to create a two-tone mask with two distinct sides. 2) I chose this mask because of its ornate detail. Art and music are my two favorite cultures so I wanted to unify them in my design, mainly by directly including music notes in the final product. 3) I chose this mask as a possible inspiration because of  its shape. I wanted to include theater in the final product so I was debating whether or not to make a half mask. In the end, I still included it in the final product because of the eye shape. For the mask,...