Skip to main content

Mod 7

The first video "Architecture: The Science of Design" explored the concepts of design and related them to architecture. It was engaging for me because of my design background. What stuck out for me was the part regarding skyscrapers. I didn't know that they were built by inserting rods or concrete blocks into the ground, and that every building can sway up to a few meters. I knew that smart houses existed, but I didn't know the depth of features that they have. I couldn't help but notice this video was a little older so I kind of found it a little cliche at times, especially the graphics.

I enjoyed the second video about Frank Gehry because I know nothing about architecture. It was clear to see from the start that Gehry has been very influential and as I was watching it I was thinking about buildings I have seen when traveling that resembled Gehry's work. I also wonder if the Burchfield-Penney was either built by or influenced by Gehry's design.

I liked both films overall. I'm at least vaguely familiar with other areas of design besides graphic design and illustration, but the one I've never really explored was architecture. The videos provided me with some insight on both the field itself and a high-profile person in the field. Because of the videos I may look more into architecture in the future.

My reasoning for choosing the films were simple. I chose the first video because I noticed it related to design, and considering I knew nothing about architecture I figured it would help me understand it better, and it did. Lastly, I chose the second video because a majority of the videos were no longer available, so my choices were narrowed down rather quickly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/barbams01/slideshow/ The process to create the slideshow was relatively painless and fun. To choose what to photograph, I walked around campus as well as my house. Deciding what to pick for each was kind of challenging because I had to think outside of the box. First I went with objects in my house that were coincidentally arranged, such as the knives and the two tea containers. Eventually, though, I had to start arranging objects. I stumbled across the two Jack Skellington figures and put them side by side because of their size difference. They are not exactly the same, but similar enough. Other objects, such as the ball in the middle of the ground, were easy to figure out how to incorporate into the slideshow. For the ball, I just set it on my garage floor and zoomed out to give it the appearance of a small object in a big space. I found the green coins to demonstrate shape. At first, I used the cylindrical light to represent shape, but decided a...

Mod 9

The first video, "Albrecht Durer: Image of A Master", I chose on a whim because I wasn't familiar with his name or his work. Velasquez sounded vaguely familiar so I wanted to learn more about him. For the first video, I wasn't familiar with the name or his work so I wanted to learn about someone new. However, I found out that I actually was familiar with Durer's work when the video explored it more. Notably, his rendering of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I saw it recently in a film "Horsemen" on Netflix. The film revolves around a cop that has to investigate a murder that is based on the portrait (Great movie by the way!). Besides that, Durer's process of stripping down works into shapes reminded me of the golden mean in graphic design. Every "good" design is based off of a conch shell, and the self-portrait of Durer holding the plant could be stripped down to only a few circles and triangles. I found it interesting that Velasque...

Masks

Final  Sketches 1 Sketches 2 Inspiration 1: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cd/71/40/cd71400be5adae9d73dc17957d477603--mens-masquerade-mask-halloween-masquerade.jpg Inspiration 2: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/c2/d1/59c2d1cf1c2288f1a80f3a6a843baf74--venetian-masquerade-masks-masquerade-ball.jpg Inspiration 3: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/67/a5/8267a5cc865dcc351eeec9bbd938d899.jpg 1) I chose this mask because of its split design. I wanted to create a two-tone mask with two distinct sides. 2) I chose this mask because of its ornate detail. Art and music are my two favorite cultures so I wanted to unify them in my design, mainly by directly including music notes in the final product. 3) I chose this mask as a possible inspiration because of  its shape. I wanted to include theater in the final product so I was debating whether or not to make a half mask. In the end, I still included it in the final product because of the eye shape. For the mask,...