Skip to main content

Mod 8

I chose the video "Cairo Museum" as my second one because it related to the section about Egypt in the first video. I enjoy learning about Egypt so both videos kept me engaged.

One thing that stuck out to me in the first video was the section about the fascination with the female sculpture in the beginning. I've heard about the figure before and always wondered why so many sculptors wanted to replicate it. It's not physically similar to sculptures from any other period, so I am curious as to why they decided to go in that direction with the female figure. Another section I learned from was the section on Egypt. As I stated, I like learning about Egypt so this section had my full attention. It was interesting to see the ways that people were represented in hieroglyphics, I never realized that people are portrayed from a side view with fingers of equal length and that their heads were sort of a combination of a profile and a straight-on point of view.

The second video was informative. I liked the artifacts that the museum had to offer. One artifact that stood out for me was the man's foot. The fact that plastic surgery and prosthetic limbs existed back then is incredible. I was saddened to find out that time had worn out the artifacts that were buried in Egyptian tombs as well.

The videos relate to the readings because the Egyptians laid the groundwork for artforms that would be invented later on in history. The techniques they used to make the gold-plated prints (Shown in the Cairo Museum video) resembled the ones that would later be used. In addition, the way humans were portrayed, although flattened, were vastly different from the Willendorf figure. It could be assumed that as time went on, civilizations became more familiar with the human figure and started portraying them in more of a realistic manner than in years past.

I enjoyed these films. I may be biased because I really like to learn about Egyptian culture, but they both provided an in-depth look into how the Egyptians (and other civilizations) evolved and moved the paradigm of art over time. As I mentioned in #3, the way humans are portrayed in different cultures helps demonstrate this evolution when comparing the Willendorf figure to the paintings in Egypt. By showing other artifacts in the museum, it helped me understand that out of all of the cultures I have studied, the Egyptians valued art the most. They used it as a primary means for both leisure (In the cases of pottery and jewelery) as well as a means of communication via hieroglyphics and paintings of heir gods.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/barbams01/slideshow/ The process to create the slideshow was relatively painless and fun. To choose what to photograph, I walked around campus as well as my house. Deciding what to pick for each was kind of challenging because I had to think outside of the box. First I went with objects in my house that were coincidentally arranged, such as the knives and the two tea containers. Eventually, though, I had to start arranging objects. I stumbled across the two Jack Skellington figures and put them side by side because of their size difference. They are not exactly the same, but similar enough. Other objects, such as the ball in the middle of the ground, were easy to figure out how to incorporate into the slideshow. For the ball, I just set it on my garage floor and zoomed out to give it the appearance of a small object in a big space. I found the green coins to demonstrate shape. At first, I used the cylindrical light to represent shape, but decided a...

Mod 9

The first video, "Albrecht Durer: Image of A Master", I chose on a whim because I wasn't familiar with his name or his work. Velasquez sounded vaguely familiar so I wanted to learn more about him. For the first video, I wasn't familiar with the name or his work so I wanted to learn about someone new. However, I found out that I actually was familiar with Durer's work when the video explored it more. Notably, his rendering of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I saw it recently in a film "Horsemen" on Netflix. The film revolves around a cop that has to investigate a murder that is based on the portrait (Great movie by the way!). Besides that, Durer's process of stripping down works into shapes reminded me of the golden mean in graphic design. Every "good" design is based off of a conch shell, and the self-portrait of Durer holding the plant could be stripped down to only a few circles and triangles. I found it interesting that Velasque...

Masks

Final  Sketches 1 Sketches 2 Inspiration 1: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cd/71/40/cd71400be5adae9d73dc17957d477603--mens-masquerade-mask-halloween-masquerade.jpg Inspiration 2: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/c2/d1/59c2d1cf1c2288f1a80f3a6a843baf74--venetian-masquerade-masks-masquerade-ball.jpg Inspiration 3: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/67/a5/8267a5cc865dcc351eeec9bbd938d899.jpg 1) I chose this mask because of its split design. I wanted to create a two-tone mask with two distinct sides. 2) I chose this mask because of its ornate detail. Art and music are my two favorite cultures so I wanted to unify them in my design, mainly by directly including music notes in the final product. 3) I chose this mask as a possible inspiration because of  its shape. I wanted to include theater in the final product so I was debating whether or not to make a half mask. In the end, I still included it in the final product because of the eye shape. For the mask,...