Skip to main content

Mod 10

I chose "African Art" & "African Art:Legacy of Oppression". I picked both videos because I have an interest in African art. The design of it is so unique compared to other regions and it has always stood out to me.

The first video was interesting because it delved into the story behind African sculptures and masks. I'm very interested in origin stories behind pieces and some African art is really abstract, so I was engaged in the story of why sculptures look the way that they do. I like African sculptures but the symbolism and the fact that the art focused on abstract rather than reality made it more appealing to me because of the video. The second video was short but it had a lot of information in it. Related to the first video, showing the symbolism that went into the sculptures kept me watching and also inspired me to create a better mask for the project.

The videos relate to the readings because Africa played a vital role in the development of the art of sculpture. Egypt is credited for its sculptures and distinct art (The way gods are portrayed, decorated tombs, etc.) but the origins of the Egyptian style originated in Africa.

The symbolism used to convey ideas in African sculptures really help to provide an understanding of art and art concepts. For those like myself who did not study African sculptures prior to watching these videos, they help give insight to the craft of maskmaking in ancient cultures. Personally, not only did I get a deeper understanding of the art form but I also grew more appreciative of it because symbolism is my favorite part of both literature and art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/barbams01/slideshow/ The process to create the slideshow was relatively painless and fun. To choose what to photograph, I walked around campus as well as my house. Deciding what to pick for each was kind of challenging because I had to think outside of the box. First I went with objects in my house that were coincidentally arranged, such as the knives and the two tea containers. Eventually, though, I had to start arranging objects. I stumbled across the two Jack Skellington figures and put them side by side because of their size difference. They are not exactly the same, but similar enough. Other objects, such as the ball in the middle of the ground, were easy to figure out how to incorporate into the slideshow. For the ball, I just set it on my garage floor and zoomed out to give it the appearance of a small object in a big space. I found the green coins to demonstrate shape. At first, I used the cylindrical light to represent shape, but decided a...

Mod 9

The first video, "Albrecht Durer: Image of A Master", I chose on a whim because I wasn't familiar with his name or his work. Velasquez sounded vaguely familiar so I wanted to learn more about him. For the first video, I wasn't familiar with the name or his work so I wanted to learn about someone new. However, I found out that I actually was familiar with Durer's work when the video explored it more. Notably, his rendering of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I saw it recently in a film "Horsemen" on Netflix. The film revolves around a cop that has to investigate a murder that is based on the portrait (Great movie by the way!). Besides that, Durer's process of stripping down works into shapes reminded me of the golden mean in graphic design. Every "good" design is based off of a conch shell, and the self-portrait of Durer holding the plant could be stripped down to only a few circles and triangles. I found it interesting that Velasque...

Masks

Final  Sketches 1 Sketches 2 Inspiration 1: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cd/71/40/cd71400be5adae9d73dc17957d477603--mens-masquerade-mask-halloween-masquerade.jpg Inspiration 2: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/c2/d1/59c2d1cf1c2288f1a80f3a6a843baf74--venetian-masquerade-masks-masquerade-ball.jpg Inspiration 3: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/67/a5/8267a5cc865dcc351eeec9bbd938d899.jpg 1) I chose this mask because of its split design. I wanted to create a two-tone mask with two distinct sides. 2) I chose this mask because of its ornate detail. Art and music are my two favorite cultures so I wanted to unify them in my design, mainly by directly including music notes in the final product. 3) I chose this mask as a possible inspiration because of  its shape. I wanted to include theater in the final product so I was debating whether or not to make a half mask. In the end, I still included it in the final product because of the eye shape. For the mask,...