Skip to main content

Mod 11

I chose "Expressionism" and "Dada and Surrealism". I chose the first video because I wanted to learn more about expressionism. I had heard of it before but I wasn't really familiar with it. The second video stuck out to me because I learned briefly about Dada in other classes, and considering it was a graphic design movement, I wanted to learn the history and more about it.

After watching the video, I think expressionism might be my favorite art movement. I've always enjoyed symbolism and deep meanings in books, movies, art, etc. and to see that there's a movement based around that really makes me want to learn more about it. The first work of art by Munch really stuck out to me. Its use of colors to represent emotions as well as the details such as the paint literally dripping down the canvas helped me fully understand the painting more. I look forward to investigating expressionism more and the other works and meanings behind them.

The second video provided me with insight on something I knew very little about. The most interesting thing I learned was, similar to expressionism, the symbolism behind the pictures used to create collages. Dada is different than other movements because it is known to have a more poignant and direct approach to the message its conveying. Overall, I liked the video but I'm going to study Dada a little more possibly to incorporate elements of it in my designs.

The videos relate to the readings because they cover all of the different art movements including Impressionism, Realism, Surrealism, Expressionism, and Cubism. The videos give a more in-depth analysis of each movement by showing more examples and providing the history.

As I stated, I enjoyed the videos. They were both very informative and gave me insight to each respective movement. For example, I never fully understood Dada when I first learned about it but the video gave me a clearer understanding of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/barbams01/slideshow/ The process to create the slideshow was relatively painless and fun. To choose what to photograph, I walked around campus as well as my house. Deciding what to pick for each was kind of challenging because I had to think outside of the box. First I went with objects in my house that were coincidentally arranged, such as the knives and the two tea containers. Eventually, though, I had to start arranging objects. I stumbled across the two Jack Skellington figures and put them side by side because of their size difference. They are not exactly the same, but similar enough. Other objects, such as the ball in the middle of the ground, were easy to figure out how to incorporate into the slideshow. For the ball, I just set it on my garage floor and zoomed out to give it the appearance of a small object in a big space. I found the green coins to demonstrate shape. At first, I used the cylindrical light to represent shape, but decided a...

Mod 9

The first video, "Albrecht Durer: Image of A Master", I chose on a whim because I wasn't familiar with his name or his work. Velasquez sounded vaguely familiar so I wanted to learn more about him. For the first video, I wasn't familiar with the name or his work so I wanted to learn about someone new. However, I found out that I actually was familiar with Durer's work when the video explored it more. Notably, his rendering of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I saw it recently in a film "Horsemen" on Netflix. The film revolves around a cop that has to investigate a murder that is based on the portrait (Great movie by the way!). Besides that, Durer's process of stripping down works into shapes reminded me of the golden mean in graphic design. Every "good" design is based off of a conch shell, and the self-portrait of Durer holding the plant could be stripped down to only a few circles and triangles. I found it interesting that Velasque...

Masks

Final  Sketches 1 Sketches 2 Inspiration 1: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cd/71/40/cd71400be5adae9d73dc17957d477603--mens-masquerade-mask-halloween-masquerade.jpg Inspiration 2: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/c2/d1/59c2d1cf1c2288f1a80f3a6a843baf74--venetian-masquerade-masks-masquerade-ball.jpg Inspiration 3: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/67/a5/8267a5cc865dcc351eeec9bbd938d899.jpg 1) I chose this mask because of its split design. I wanted to create a two-tone mask with two distinct sides. 2) I chose this mask because of its ornate detail. Art and music are my two favorite cultures so I wanted to unify them in my design, mainly by directly including music notes in the final product. 3) I chose this mask as a possible inspiration because of  its shape. I wanted to include theater in the final product so I was debating whether or not to make a half mask. In the end, I still included it in the final product because of the eye shape. For the mask,...