Skip to main content

Self-Portrait



I chose all 3 of these pieces because I knew I wanted to do my self-portrait in pencil. I chose pencil because it's the medium I'm most familiar with and have immediate access to. Overall, the only challenge I faced was spacing. I had to keep resizing various lines until it all worked cohesively. The other main challenge for me was the fact that I'm wearing a shirt with faces on it in the reference picture. I didn't realize the amount of detail the faces had in the image. I simplified the faces so the details were implied rather than actually present. This image represents me because it displays the one thing I care about most in life: Music (specifically hip hop). The shirt says "All My Favorite Rappers Are Dead", and it has portraits of three of my favorite rappers - 2Pac, the Notorious BIG, and Eazy-E. There are no distractions in the background or even any extra details in the image, and that is for a reason. Music is the thing that defines me, so I decided to keep the focus on that. For the elements and principles, I mainly utilized value which is present in the color scheme. I enjoy drawing and I haven't drawn anything in a while so this was a very fun project for me. It got me inspired to draw again so I plan on creating something in the near future. I consider my drawing to be realist with a small dose of abstract. I don't usually shade much unless the image really calls for it, and due to the large amount of black in the picture I felt that it would take away from the final product if I colored everything in. I believe that the final product was a success and came out better than I expected.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/barbams01/slideshow/ The process to create the slideshow was relatively painless and fun. To choose what to photograph, I walked around campus as well as my house. Deciding what to pick for each was kind of challenging because I had to think outside of the box. First I went with objects in my house that were coincidentally arranged, such as the knives and the two tea containers. Eventually, though, I had to start arranging objects. I stumbled across the two Jack Skellington figures and put them side by side because of their size difference. They are not exactly the same, but similar enough. Other objects, such as the ball in the middle of the ground, were easy to figure out how to incorporate into the slideshow. For the ball, I just set it on my garage floor and zoomed out to give it the appearance of a small object in a big space. I found the green coins to demonstrate shape. At first, I used the cylindrical light to represent shape, but decided a...

Mod 9

The first video, "Albrecht Durer: Image of A Master", I chose on a whim because I wasn't familiar with his name or his work. Velasquez sounded vaguely familiar so I wanted to learn more about him. For the first video, I wasn't familiar with the name or his work so I wanted to learn about someone new. However, I found out that I actually was familiar with Durer's work when the video explored it more. Notably, his rendering of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I saw it recently in a film "Horsemen" on Netflix. The film revolves around a cop that has to investigate a murder that is based on the portrait (Great movie by the way!). Besides that, Durer's process of stripping down works into shapes reminded me of the golden mean in graphic design. Every "good" design is based off of a conch shell, and the self-portrait of Durer holding the plant could be stripped down to only a few circles and triangles. I found it interesting that Velasque...

Masks

Final  Sketches 1 Sketches 2 Inspiration 1: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cd/71/40/cd71400be5adae9d73dc17957d477603--mens-masquerade-mask-halloween-masquerade.jpg Inspiration 2: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/c2/d1/59c2d1cf1c2288f1a80f3a6a843baf74--venetian-masquerade-masks-masquerade-ball.jpg Inspiration 3: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/67/a5/8267a5cc865dcc351eeec9bbd938d899.jpg 1) I chose this mask because of its split design. I wanted to create a two-tone mask with two distinct sides. 2) I chose this mask because of its ornate detail. Art and music are my two favorite cultures so I wanted to unify them in my design, mainly by directly including music notes in the final product. 3) I chose this mask as a possible inspiration because of  its shape. I wanted to include theater in the final product so I was debating whether or not to make a half mask. In the end, I still included it in the final product because of the eye shape. For the mask,...